Fire at Tl’azt’en Health Centre

A fire Wednesday evening has left staff unable to enter Tl'azt'en Health Centre on Tache Reserve.

A fire Wednesday evening has left staff unable to enter Tl’azt’en Health Centre on Tache Reserve.

Still in the preliminary stages of the investigation, Chief Ralph Pierre say the RCMP are taking statements from people and no one can enter the building until the toxic fumes from the fire diminish.

The Tl’azt’en volunteer fire department attended the fire yesterday evening, and RCMP said all evidence so far indicates the fire was an accident.

Initial reports suggest flammable material was left on a still-hot element in the kitchen of the health centre.

Pierre said all he knows is there is smoke damage to at least part of the building and some to the outside door, but said he will not know more until administration is cleared to enter the structure.