Conifex adds second shift

Fort St. James saw another economic improvement last week when Conifex began operating the second shift at their local sawmill. The second shift came on line on March 21.

Fort St. James saw another economic improvement last week when Conifex began operating the second shift at their local sawmill. The second shift came on line on March 21.

According to Lorraine Ducharme, spokeswoman for Conifex, the completion of improvements to their planer and with the current state of the lumber market, “it made good economic sense to us to ramp up production at this time.”

The mill had been shut down for two years after previous owners Pope and Talbot went bankrupt in 2007.

Conifex bought the mill in 2008 and reopened it in 2009.

“We’ve actually been planning the second shift for this year all along,” Lorraine Ducharme.

And while the market might not be ideal for lumber, with growing asian markets, it is improving.

“Lumber manufacturing is still struggling, there’s no doubt, in all of B.C., but we see it turning around slowly and we want to be there when it makes the final turn around that curve,” said Ducharme

Conifex currently ships about 50 per cent of their lumber to off shore markets.

 

Since reopening, there has been $30 million in upgrades done to the mill and it employs over 200 people.

 

 

Just Posted

Nearly $500,000 available for internships with First Nations government

Funds announced through partnership with Northern Development and Government of Canada

Falcons host basketball invitational

40 student volunteers helped support 180 players, 28 games

Atom Stars host hockey tourney

Seven teams from the region clashed sticks

Solitary-confinement veto a chance to address mental health: advocate

B.C. Supreme Court made the landmark ruling Wednesday

Winter storm coming to B.C. this weekend

The bets are on as to how much snow the province will actually get in the coming days

B.C. civil rights group files complaint about RCMP arrest of man who later died

Dale Culver, a 35-year-old Indigenous man was arrested in Prince George last July

Lawyer says former B.C. government aide ‘barely guilty’ in ethnic vote scandal

Brian Bonney pleaded guilty to a breach of trust charge

Quite a few tears as homemade quilts distributed to residents of Ashcroft Reserve, Boston Flats affected by last summer’s fire

Quilters in B.C. and Alberta worked through the summer and fall to create more than 100 quilts.

Island Health: No need for alarm in wake of Victoria needle-prick incidents

Three incidents in a week prompts meeting between health authority, city service providers

B.C. coast loggers celebrate history, hope for improvement

Truck Loggers Association awaits B.C. NDP government’s new direction

Global Affairs aware of report of two Canadians kidnapped in Nigeria

The foreigners were heading south from Kafanchan to Abuja when they were ambushed around Kagarko

Whistler role in potential Calgary Olympic bid would be welcome: IOC

Calgary is mulling whether to vie for the 2026 Games, and could look to facilities in B.C.

Most Read