FSJ looking for facelift $

The district has applied for approximately $400,000 in B.C. government funding to complete another phase of the downtown revitalization.

The district has applied for approximately $400,000 in B.C. government funding to complete another phase of the downtown revitalization.

Now that the facades of the downtown businesses have been given a facelift, the district would like to update, renovate and incorporate the rest of the vision that Bob Inwood created for the Fort in his “Streetscape Project.” That vision includes a proposed clock tower and planters in front of the Goodwin Building at the “five corners” and fencing and landscaping integrated into the sidewalk berms. There would also be archways to identify walkways throughout the seasons, and landscaped barriers to increase pedestrian safety.

Deb Hadwen, economic development officer for the district, explains the landscaping could open up a potential walking tour of downtown, from the historic site to the Russ Bakers Memorial, with interpretive signs guiding the way.

She also says the plants would be native species, an environmentally-friendly option that also helps people learn about the ecology of the area. The grant money applied for would account for about 80 per cent of the funding required to complete what the district would like to see done, according to Hadwen, and comes from the Towns for Tomorrow Program the BC government offers up for municipalities to apply for. The other 20 per cent of the required costs would be covered by the local district.

The work would only involve municipal property, but property owners could partner with the town to do more as well. The same funding helped the Murray Ridge Ski Hill complete extensive upgrades four years ago. The funds allowed the mountain to purchase a new groomer, put a new floor in the lodge, build a new outside deck, paint the lodge, install a water treatment centre in the lodge as well as pay for the labour and some brushing on the mountain.

Just Posted

Fort St. James gets a new CAO

Melany Helmer comes with years of senior management experience

Northwest mobile unit to help those at heart of mental health, addiction crisis

Province, Northern Health unveils new unit in Terrace to bridge gaps in services

Move natural gas pipeline, MP suggests

Coastal GasLink could then avoid opposition

B.C. minister says rural internet is ‘railroad of the 21st century’

Jinny Sims talks details about the $50-million provincial and possible $750-million federal funds

Zero-interest student loans a huge relief: CMTN student union

Parliamentary secretary hears from Terrace students, alumni and staff

Sparks fly as SUV speeds down wrong side of Highway 1 trying to flee RCMP

Captured on video, the vehicle headed westbound against oncoming traffic before crashing

Calgary captain has 3 points as Flames torch Canucks 3-1

Giordano leads way as Alberta side cracks 100-point plateau

1,300 cruise ship passengers rescued by helicopter amid storm off Norway’s coast

Rescue teams with helicopters and boats were sent to evacuate the cruise ship under extremely difficult circumstances

B.C. university to offer first graduate program on mindfulness in Canada

University of the Fraser Valley says the mostly-online program focuses on self-care and well being

Province announces $18.6 million for B.C. Search and Rescue

The funding, spread over three years, to pay for operations, equipment, and training

Late-season wave of the flu makes its round in B.C.

BC Centre for Disease Control reported 50 per cent jump in flu cases in first weeks of March

Tofino’s housing crisis causing some to seek shelter at the local hospital

Tofino’s housing crisis is pushing the town’s ‘hidden homeless’ population into the forefront.

Sentencing judge in Broncos crash calls for carnage on highways to end

Judge Inez Cardinal sentenced Jaskirat Singh Sidhu to eight years

2 fires in Victoria caused by cigarettes prompts warning from deputy fire chief

Two separate fires caused by cigarette butts were avoidable

Most Read